Catholic League president Bill Donohue commented today on efforts to censor Christmas:
“We haven’t hit December yet and already the politically correct police are out in force trying to censor Christmas. Here’s a sample:
· For 75 years, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce sponsored the ‘Hollywood Christmas Parade.’ When it refused to sponsor the parade this year, the L.A. City Council took over, renaming it the ‘Hollywood Santa Parade.’
· The Department of Housing and Urban Development has censored Christmas religious symbols from its housing complexes.
· No Christmas decorations are allowed on school buses in parts of Vermont.
· A public official in Wisconsin wants to rename the State Capitol Holiday Tree the Christmas Tree, but is being opposed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
· Chattanooga has banned a live nativity scene from its public festivities.
· Sonoma City Council has nixed religious displays on the Plaza.
· Voters in Berkley, Michigan have forbidden a crèche at City Hall.
· Fort Collins, Colorado says it is okay to have green and red lights outside city buildings, but only secular symbols are allowed inside.
· After Briarcliff Manor, New York was ordered to erect a crèche next to a menorah, the village elected to ban all religious symbols.
· Residents in Olean, New York are fighting over privately owned nativity scenes being displayed in city parks.
· A nativity scene in front of the Ypsilanti Township fire hall in Michigan has been banned.
· No religious symbols are allowed in Seattle-Tacoma airport, but trees made of cardboard are legit.
· Nativity scenes at Texas Tech are not permissible, but a tree is okay. The official in charge says, ‘We’re not saying it’s a holiday tree, because it’s a Christmas tree, but we choose to do a tasteful tree that really anybody can embrace.’ Great idea!
“There you have it. The multicultural monsters are rearing their ugly heads once again, showing what they really mean by tolerance for diversity.”